Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Mata ne, Miyajima



























































As the ferry finally pulled away from the island - my eyes on the looming mountains and the blazen red Torii gate floating familiarly on the water - I felt my Madre hook her arm around mine. 

And with both our eyes on Miyajima, I muttered, 

"I just can't believe it's over." 

She squeezed my arm tighter, and with perfect wisdom and conviction, she said, 

"It's not an ending, Deed - It's a really long beginning." 

And I was reminded, yet again, of how smart my Madre is. 
She's right. 
Things are just getting started. 


Thank you, Miyajima...for your countless sunsets and your fried momiji-manju. 
Thank you for showing me how obnoxious  and how beautiful deer can be. 
I won't forget your wooded trails or your winding streets - your old shops, your sea breeze, and your character....your melon pan ice cream or your oysters. 
You've given me memories I won't ever forget...and you'll always hold a special place in my heart. 
This isn't 'Sayonara', Miyajima. 
It's 'Mata ne'. 
I know we'll meet again. 
And I can't wait:) 

Always,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!