Friday, March 22, 2013

Lärabar Bites


Lärabars. 
It was love at first bite. 
Made purely of dried fruit and nuts, I thought that I had found the ultimate snack bar. No added sugar, just enough natural sugar found in the fruit to give me a boost of energy, and nuts to add in some healthy fats. I was smitten. 
   Unfortunately, I discovered that stacking my beloved Lärabars up in the grocery cart on a regular basis was becoming quite a pricey love affair...something had to give. 
 So, I began to conjure up a recipe for my own Lärabars. 








My only complaint about Lärabars was that they contain a lot of sugar (even though natural), in the form of dates. 
Natural sugar is better than processed sugar, but glucose is still glucose, and I wanted to create something that had a little bit less glucose, fructose, sucrose or any other type of 'ose that tried to sneak it's way in.
So I added prunes. Don't even get me started on prunes. They are my favorite...sweet, tart, full of vitamin K, and let's not forget the enormous amount of fiber they offer!;) Plus - they have less sugar than dates...so in they went. 

This recipe is so easy. It took me 10 minutes to throw everything together and roll the little bites out. They're easy, cheaper than Lärabars, and have less sugar. 
Plus - they're amazing. 

Do you need more convincing?
I didn't think so. 

Lärabar Bites

makes about 12 bites
1 1/2 c. Almonds
1/2 c. Prunes 
1/2 c. Dates
1 Tbsp Coconut Cream Concentrate
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 c. shredded, unsweetened coconut (for rolling) 


1. Grind the almonds and cinnamon in a food processor until they resemble a course meal. 
2. Add prunes, dates, and coconut cream. Blend together with the almonds and cinnamon until the mixture comes together as a ball, or until you can form firm balls with the dough. You may have to add a few more prunes/dates depending on how your batch comes together
3. Roll out into bite sized balls and roll into shredded coconut. 
4. Bon appetite! 



p.s. You'll notice that in the pictures of my bites, there were some balls with oats in them. This is because I added a few tablespoons of oats to half the batch along with some chocolate chips for the broskis. 
If you're looking for more of a desert/snack, then I would highly recommend adding the chocolate;)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!