Saturday, November 10, 2012

Molasses Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

 
 
 

 
 

 


   Early this morning, as I drove Padre to spearfish, I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the trees surrounding me that were dressed in their Autumn best. The skies were grey and the leaves skittered across the road like glitter on this dreary morning. The ocean breeze was bringing in the smell of the sea, and my hair was curling around my ears as the humidity set in reminding me of  the Autumns in Cape Cod. It was just such a beautiful, peaceful morning! All I could think about as I drove back from dropping Padre off, was that I wanted a warm latte and a chewy molasses cookie. So I came home, put on some Frank Sinatra, dusted off Mama's old cookbook, and went to work. What resulted was a quite delicious cookie that hit the spot.  Here's what went down:




Molasses Cookies:

1c. unsalted butter, softened.
1c. sugar
1c. molasses
1c. sour cream
3tsp. baking soda
3TBSP. white vinegar
2tsp. ginger
1 /2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
4 c. sifted flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter & sugar well. Add molasses and sour cream; mix well. Mix soda with vinegar and add it along with ginger and salt. Stir in beaten eggs, then sifted flour. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet, 2" apart. Bake 8-12 minutes. Make sure to take them out before they get too over done, and lose their chewiness! Remove from pan and cool. Frost.

*Unfortunately, I ate all the frosted cookies before I got any pictures! So you'll have to just imagine the most beautiful frosted molasses cookie ever.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 oz. Neufchatel, softened
1/2c. unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar

Cream Neufchatel and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add vanilla.

Voila! And as the Japanese would say: おいしい!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!