Saturday, August 17, 2013

change









I felt the first fall breeze today. It was fleeting, but for a few seconds, I could smell the warm smells of autumn, and feel the coziness that fall brings. I could see autumn on the horizon.
And as I sat there thinking about the coming season, it struck me that it was indeed still summer, and I looked down.
I saw my legs and knees...so much browner than before. I traced the tan lines on my hands from my rings, and I felt the summer curls on my head - each one sun kissed.
 I felt the essence of a summer past. One filled with memories and lessons that I wouldn't trade for the world. I looked around me and realized that I was perfectly content in this season, and I didn't want it to change.

And looking back at how the time has flown by, I can't help but be sad at the prospect of a new season. Because I've grown so comfortable in the present one -
this season that has been  filled to the brim with simplicity and quiet...memories, and moments that take my breath away.
It's been a season of learning. One with obstacles and opportunities.
A season of familiarity...one of simply enjoying this little Japanese place as our home. Because Japanese summers are the best summers.
I've learned to love the sunrises and the sunsets that I get to see every single day.
And I've learned that I would rather be warm than cold....I am an islander, after all.

It's these not-so-lazy days that have grown close to my heart. And as I look forward to what the next few years bring...I can't help but cling to these last summer moments. Because I know that they are fleeting. And soon enough,  I'll be sitting somewhere cold -  trying to get warm - and I'll  feel the essence of summer on strange warm breeze.

And it will all begin again.

In the meantime - here I sit. Trying so hard to live fully in these moments that pass so quickly away.
These moments that can be so easy to waste.
And I wring them all out...enjoying the last of the summer to it's fullest extent.

“summer, after all, is a time when wonderful things can happen to quiet people. for those few months, you’re not required to be who everyone thinks you are, and that cut-grass smell in the air and the chance to dive into the deep end of a pool give you a courage you don’t have the rest of the year. you can be grateful and easy, with no eyes on you, and no past. summer just opens the door and lets you out.”
- Deb Caletti - 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!