Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Why Nanzan.
































People always ask me, “Why Nanzan?”
I’m never quite sure how to answer.
At first, it was the cost-value and the dates that matched perfectly with my plans. It was the amazing academic program and the promise of finishing with the ability to speak more Japanese.
Yes, the studies were wonderful - the senseis were incredible and I learned so much Japanese.
(I've started thinking in Japanese. It's all sorts of confusing.)

But, as my time at Nanzan comes to a close, I realize I was there for quite another reason.

Quite honestly, the academic aspects of my time in Nagoya are mere fragments of what I experienced there.
There was so much more to be learned...so much to be gained.

I've seen the Lord bring me friends who are so close, I can't believe I've only known them 6 weeks....friends who I know I'll connect with for life. 

I've seen the Gospel work vividly in this country, in this city, and in the lives of my friends.
I've felt the overwhelming weight of His love, been reminded of the clarity and truth of the Gospel, and gotten so many opportunities to boldly speak of that Love to those around me.
I have new vision...the Spirit is on the move. 
And He's been so good. 
さすがね?

Every time I leave this country, I always wonder how is it that a heart can be split so strongly between two opposite sides of the globe?
It's the weirdest feeling.
And even for the many times I've made this trek, it doesn't get any easier.
Japan is a part of me.


But even though I leave Japan, sad at the passing of such a golden season, I'm not completely forlorn. 

This is only the beginning. 

Yes, I leave Nanzan University with more than just improved Japanese and an over-stuffed suitcase.

I leave with teary eyes, a full heart, and eyes open to take in all that the Lord is doing.
I leave grateful. So grateful....
and so much better able to answer that ever-present question,

"Why Nanzan?"

Because the Lord knew I needed it.

That's why.
Because He always knows best.
And He is faithful to take good care of his children.

驚くばかりの恵みなり...

Always,
G


3 comments:

  1. Graysie, thank you for posting this! I feel like you and I have had similar experiences in Asia...having gone without really knowing why, but in the end realizing that it was Gods plan and it's become so much a part of us. I'm split between Korea and the US too. From what I've read as I follow you here, it seems that your experiences in Japan have been joyful and inspiring. I can't say the same for Korea, but it has gripped me nonetheless.

    I think you're wonderfully strong to be there on your own and to embrace the culture with open arms. Only good can come of that!

    Yours words and photography are beautiful. Keep writing, because I love to read it!
    -Leigh Margaret Manning (Katie Sandifer's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My site addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!
    pat mcgrath divine rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post will be very useful to us....i like your blog and helpful to me....nice thoughts for your great work....
    Buy Bulk Attars Online

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!